BTS (방탄소년단 [ko]; 防弾少年团 [ja]; also known as Bangtan Boys and Beyond the Scene) is a seven-member boy group under Big Hit Entertainment. The members of BTS are RM, Jin, SUGA, j-hope, Jimin, V, and Jung Kook.
The group formed as teenagers under Big Hit Entertainment and released their debut single album, 2 Cool 4 Skool (2013). Subsequent works—such as their first U.S. Billboard 200 entries The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Part 2 (2015), The Most Beautiful Moment in Life: Young Forever (2016), and Wings (2016)—helped establish BTS’ reputation as a socially conscious group. Wings became BTS’ first album to sell one million copies in South Korea. By 2017, BTS crossed into the international music market, leading the Korean Wave into the United States and breaking numerous sales records, becoming the first Korean group to receive a certification from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for their single “Mic Drop”. The band is the first Korean act to top the Billboard 200 with their studio album Love Yourself: Tear (2018) and have since hit the top of the U.S. charts with their albums Love Yourself: Answer (2018), Map of the Soul: Persona (2019) and Map of the Soul: 7 (2020), making BTS the fastest group since the Beatles to earn four number one albums in less than two years. Love Yourself: Answer broke the South Korean Gaon Album Chart’s all-time monthly record previously set by their own Love Yourself: Tear and became the first Korean album to be certified platinum in the United States.
2020: Map of the Soul: 7, Dynamite, and Be
– In January 2020, BTS released “Black Swan” along with a choreography art film performed by Slovenian-based MN Dance Company as the first single from their fourth Korean-language studio album, Map of the Soul: 7.
Map of the Soul: 7 was released on February 21 to universal acclaim. The album was supported by the lead single “On” and an alternative digital release featuring Australian singer Sia. According to Gaon Chart, Map of the Soul: 7 sold over 4.1 million copies in just nine days after its release, surpassing the record held by their previous album Map of the Soul: Persona to become the best-selling album in South Korean history.
– On June 19, BTS released the Japanese single, “Stay Gold”, from their fourth Japanese studio album, Map of the Soul: 7 – The Journey, which was released in Japan and digitally worldwide on July 14.
– BTS released their first English-language single, “Dynamite”, on August 21. Its music video broke the YouTube record for the most viewed premiere, with more than three million viewers, and set a new record for the most viewed video in the first 24 hours of release.
– BTS set to be released a new album called Be on November 20, with preorders beginning on September 28. It was announced that the album’s lead single is titled “Life Goes On”.
2021: BTS, The Best, “Butter” and “Permission To Dance
– On the midnight of April 27, it was announced that BTS would be releasing their second English-language digital single, “Butter”, on May 21. Its music video broke the record for the biggest YouTube premiere of all time, garnering 3.9 million concurrent viewers, and became the most viewed YouTube video on its first day, with 108.2 million views.
– On July 9, they released their third English-language single, “Permission to Dance”. On July 19, “Permission to Dance” replaced “Butter” on the summit of the Hot 100 and became their fifth consecutive number-one hit on the chart in 10 months and two weeks, making BTS the fastest to accumulate a quintet of chart-toppers since Michael Jackson more than three decades ago
– On September 13, it was announced that BTS would feature on Coldplay‘s upcoming single “My Universe”, which is set to be released on September 24.
Follow BTS on:
|Group Name||BTS (방탄소년단)|
|Label||Big Hit Entertainment|
|1994.09.12||Leader, Main Rapper|
|1992.12.04||Sub Vocalist, Visual|
|1994.02.18||Main Dancer, Sub Rapper, |
|1995.10.13||Main Dancer, Lead Vocalist|
|1995.12.30||Lead Dancer, Sub Vocalist, Visual|
|1997.09.01||Main Vocalist, Lead Dancer, |
Sub Rapper, Center, Maknae
BTS OFFICIAL VIDEO
- Dark & Wild (2014)
- Wings (2016)
- You Never Walk Alone (repackage) (2017)
- Love Yourself: Tear (2018)
- Map of the Soul : 7 (2020)
- BE (2020)
- O!RUL8,2? (2013)
- Skool Luv Affair (2014)
- Skool Luv Affair Special Addition (repackage) (2014)
- The Most Beautiful Moment In Life, Pt. 1 (2015)
- The Most Beautiful Moment In Life, Pt. 2 (2015)
- Love Yourself: Her (2017)
- Map of the Soul : Persona (2019)
- BTS World Original Soundtrack (2019)
- The Most Beautiful Moment In Life: Young Forever (2016)
- Love Yourself: Answer (2018)
- 2 Cool 4 Skool (2013)
- Come Back Home (2017)
- MIC Drop (Steve Aoki Remix) (2017)
- Fake Love (Rocking Vibe Mix) (2018)
- Black Swan (2020)
- Dynamite (2020)
- With Seoul (2017)
- Wake Up (2014)
- Youth (2016)
- Face Yourself (2018)
- Map of the Soul : 7 ~ The Journey ~ (2020)
- 2 Cool 4 Skool / O!RUL8,2? (2014)
- The Best of BTS: Korea Edition (2017)
- The Best of BTS: Japan Edition (2017)
- No More Dream (2014)
- Boy in Luv (2014)
- Danger (2014)
- For You (2015)
- I Need U (2015)
- Run (2015)
- Blood Sweat & Tears (2017)
- MIC Drop/DNA/Crystal Snow (2017)
- Fake Love/Airplane Pt.2 (2018)
- Lights/Boy With Luv (2019)
- Stay Gold (2020)
- Dynamite (Holiday Remix) (2020)
- Butter (Hotter Remix) (2021)
- Permission to Dance (R&B Remix) (2021)
- Butter (Megan Thee Stallion Remix) (2021)
Collaborations and features
- Steve Aoki – Waste It On Me (2018)
- Coldplay – My Universe (2021)
- Their official fan club name is called A.R.M.Y. (stylized as ARMY), which stands for “Adorable Representative M.C. for Youth.”
- The literal translation of their Korean name (방탄소년단, or Bangtan Sonyeondan) in English is “Bulletproof Boy Scouts.
- Having sold over 20 million albums on the Gaon Music Chart, BTS are the best-selling act in South Korean history, and their album Map of the Soul: 7 is the country’s best-selling album.
- The group has won four Billboard Music Awards, including Top Social Artist three years in a row and Top Duo/Group.
- They were speakers at the 73rd United Nations General Assembly and honored as the youngest recipients of the Order of Cultural Merit from the President of South Korea.